Are you searching for a thriving environment to enhance your teaching career? Immigrating to Canada as a teacher, however, comes with certain prerequisites.

Known for its multicultural fabric, Canada is an ideal home for teachers worldwide.


This country boasts a top-tier education system, making teachers highly appreciated professionals. 

This guide will walk you through these steps, ensuring you know everything about how to immigrate to Canada as a teacher.

Identifying Your NOC Code and Job Level

As you begin your journey to immigrate to Canada as a teacher, your first task is determining your National Occupational Classification (NOC) code and job level.

The NOC system categorizes all job roles in Canada based on their skill type and level . Your NOC code and job level are found on the official NOC website.

For instance, secondary school teachers fall under NOC code 4031 and job level A (skilled), while kindergarten teachers have NOC code 4214 and job level B (skilled).

Understanding your NOC code and job level is crucial as it dictates your eligibility for different immigration programs and the required documentation

Typically, you should have at least one year’s work experience in your NOC profession in the past decade before applying for permanent residence.

Selecting the Ideal Province or Territory

The next stage in your mission to immigrate to Canada as a teacher is to decide on the province or territory you wish to move to. 

Each of Canada’s ten provinces and three territories has distinct education systems, teaching standards, and certification requirements.

It’s essential to explore the province or territory you aspire to live and work in and understand their specific requirements for teaching certification.


Some provinces or territories have a higher teacher demand, particularly in French-speaking regions or rural and remote areas. Websites of the provincial or territorial ministries of education or teachers’ associations provide comprehensive insights about teaching opportunities, salaries, benefits, and challenges in each region.

Align With Local and International Teaching Board

After deciding on your destination province or territory, it’s time to check the international requirements set by the local educational teaching board. 

Each province or territory has a regulatory body managing the certification and licensing of teachers. You need to contact them to understand the documents and qualifications you need to submit to receive a teaching certificate.

Common prerequisites for internationally-trained teachers include:

  1. An accredited education-related degree
  2. Your academic records
  3. An Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report affirming the equivalency of your foreign credentials to Canadian standards.
  4. Proof of English or French language proficiency (based on the province or territory)
  5. A clean criminal record
  6. Passing a certification exam or course (varies by province or territory)
  7. A membership fee

Additional documents like work reference letters, professional development certificates, or proof of teaching experience might also be needed. 

Depending on your specific circumstances and the province or territory’s requirements, the teaching certification process might take several months or even years.

Obtain a Work Permit After Studies

If your plan involves studying in Canada before teaching, you can apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) upon completing your studies. The PGWP permits you to work in Canada for up to three years post-graduation from an eligible Canadian institution. It’s an excellent opportunity to gain significant Canadian work experience, enhancing your chances of qualifying for permanent residence.

Eligibility for a PGWP:

  1. Completing an eight-month-long full-time program at a designated learning institution
  2. Maintaining a valid study permit throughout your studies
  3. Applying for the PGWP within 180 days of receiving your final grades or official program completion notification
  4. Never having received a PGWP in the past

You can apply for a PGWP online or at a port of entry, and you’ll need to provide documents like your passport, study permit, proof of graduation, and an application fee.

Accumulate Sufficient Work Experience and Apply for Permanent Residence

The final milestone to immigrate to Canada as a teacher is acquiring enough work experience and applying for permanent residence. Several immigration programs enable skilled workers to apply for permanent residence, including:

  1. The Express Entry system
  2. Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs)
  3. The Atlantic Immigration Pilot (AIP)

These programs offer different pathways to permanent residence based on various factors. To explore which ones you may be eligible for, you can use the online tool “Come to Canada.”


Q: What is the timeframe to immigrate to Canada as a teacher?

Immigration application processing times differ based on the chosen program, province or territory, and case complexity. Usually, the process to immigrate to Canada as a teacher may take between six months to two years or more.

Q: What is the cost of immigrating to Canada as a teacher?

Costs can vary based on the immigration program, fees for application, biometrics, medical exams, language tests, the ECA, travel, and settlement funds. Expect to pay at least $1,500 CAD per person for basic immigration fees, with potential additional costs for other requirements and services.

Q: What are the benefits of immigrating to Canada as a teacher?


As a teacher in Canada, you can:

    • Work in a world-class education system that celebrates diversity and innovation
    • Earn a competitive salary with generous benefits and pension plans
    • Live in a safe, democratic, multicultural country with myriad opportunities for personal and professional growth
    • Access free public health care and social services
    • Sponsor your spouse, partner, children, parents, grandparents, and other eligible relatives for permanent residence
    • Apply for Canadian citizenship after living three years as a permanent resident in Canada

I'm Ian, a travel blogger with a background in publishing. My hobby is exploring new places, and here, I share my discoveries from quaint towns and bustling cities. Each trip inspires my next post, inviting you to join me on this exciting journey.